GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

new Headliners

phil.fen86
    phil.fen86
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

new Headliners Empty new Headliners

Post  phil.fen86 Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:10 am

I need a headliner in cluding the carboard and some trim pieces for a 1978 two door aswell as a front light bezels please help.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

new Headliners Empty Re: new Headliners

Post  GM B-Body Forum Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:01 am

Any 77-90 model will work for the headliner, you can still find them occasionally at junk yards, if its a four door you will have to remove the rear window to get the board out, otherwise if its a two door you can slide it out with no problems. That would be hard to ship especially cheap since they break easily, so you would have to find one locally. As far as the headlight bezels, do you have an impala or caprice?
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:07 pm

Contact this seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-CHEVROLET-2-DR-COUPE-IMPALA-CAPRICE1977-1979-BACKGLASS-B5629-/221309989109?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33871a70f5&vxp=mtr

I bought quite a few parts off this car he has outside of ebay and he's a great guy to deal with. I can see the headliner hanging down, but I bet the board is ok and still in there. He may have the headlight bezels you need as well. I'm pretty sure he's parting out a 78. I just don't remember if it was a Caprice or Impala.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Oh yeah I just seen that on ebay a few days ago, I think its an impala because the window trim isnt painted black
    phil.fen86
    phil.fen86
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  phil.fen86 Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:43 am

I have bezels but their kinda crappy ill take a look at the ebay site some time today. I have a impala 2 door.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:13 am

Ok ill keep a look out for bezels. For the headliner, once you find a board, most likely you will have to replace the fabric. I did my headliner myself and saved over 100 dollars. This is the company i bought my headliner through. I cant remember if i ordered the medium kit and the 54inch wide fabric, if you need to know, i can go measure and let you know exactly what i got. http://www.stockinteriors.com/autoheadliner.asp
    phil.fen86
    phil.fen86
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  phil.fen86 Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:09 am

thank you very much for the info, but it will be a while before I get home I am deployed at the moment but will be heading home soon.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:30 am

Where are you stationed at? And what branch are you in?
    phil.fen86
    phil.fen86
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  phil.fen86 Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Im stationed at Fort Polk Louisiana but right now im deployed in Bagram with 10th MTN Infantry.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:26 pm

Wow, i must say thankyou for your service and dedication to this country. I know i couldnt do it. When are you expected to return home?
    phil.fen86
    phil.fen86
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  phil.fen86 Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:49 am

some time in late Feb but could change. I have a question do they make any tubular upper a arms for the b body chassis. for 78 impala
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:23 am

yes, but they're marketed for the 94-96 impala ss which is the exact same as out cars. Manufacturers dont realize the 91-96's are the same platform as ours, and everything bolts up from 77-96. Heres one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gls-cta-18a/applications
    Danver
    Danver
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Post  Danver Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:18 pm

GM B-Body Forum wrote:Any 77-90 model will work for the headliner, you can still find them occasionally at junk yards, if its a four door you will have to remove the rear window to get the board out, otherwise if its a two door you can slide it out with no problems. That would be hard to ship especially cheap since they break easily, so you would have to find one locally. As far as the headlight bezels, do you have an impala or caprice?

Sorry to bump an old post but I just found this place and I am going through all the threads as I get time.

So the only way to get the headliner out and back in is to pull the back glass with a four-door?  I was hoping it might be possible to do it when I have the seats out to do the carpeting and that it might squeeze through the front door opening.  Is that definitely not going to work for me?  Pulling the back glass isn't too big of a deal but I was hoping to get the cardboard out and redo the headliner when I get a chance while still being able to drive the car.  If I need to pull the glass I will have to plan it out and get it done right away once I get started.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:57 pm

Danver wrote:
    GM B-Body Forum wrote:Any 77-90 model will work for the headliner, you can still find them occasionally at junk yards, if its a four door you will have to remove the rear window to get the board out, otherwise if its a two door you can slide it out with no problems. That would be hard to ship especially cheap since they break easily, so you would have to find one locally. As far as the headlight bezels, do you have an impala or caprice?

Sorry to bump an old post but I just found this place and I am going through all the threads as I get time.

So the only way to get the headliner out and back in is to pull the back glass with a four-door?  I was hoping it might be possible to do it when I have the seats out to do the carpeting and that it might squeeze through the front door opening.  Is that definitely not going to work for me?  Pulling the back glass isn't too big of a deal but I was hoping to get the cardboard out and redo the headliner when I get a chance while still being able to drive the car.  If I need to pull the glass I will have to plan it out and get it done right away once I get started.

Here's what I know and I'm not sure it will be helpful, but maybe. I've never removed a 4-door headliner from a 77-90 car. However, I have helped remove one from a buddy's 93 Roadmaster which is 4-door of course. While it was a royal pain, we were able to get it out one of the back doors. I was skeptical, but sure enough it came out the back door. Before you remove the rear window, I'd suggest trying it. Take out ALL of the seats and using a buddy who can hold one of the back doors open as far as possible, you may be able to get it out. We had to slightly bend the board carefully to wiggle it out, but it came out and went back in fairly easily. I don't know if there's "just enough" to get one out on a box chevy, but the curved cars you can. You may be able to completely take off one of your rear doors to get it out. Would be much easier than a back window. I don't know though, like I said I've never tried it on the older ones. If you successfully get it out without taking out your back window, definitely let us know!
    Danver
    Danver
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Post  Danver Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:35 pm

solo79 wrote:
    Danver wrote:

Here's what I know and I'm not sure it will be helpful, but maybe.  I've never removed a 4-door headliner from a 77-90 car.  However, I have helped remove one from a buddy's 93 Roadmaster which is 4-door of course.  While it was a royal pain, we were able to get it out one of the back doors.  I was skeptical, but sure enough it came out the back door.  Before you remove the rear window, I'd suggest trying it.  Take out ALL of the seats and using a buddy who can hold one of the back doors open as far as possible, you may be able to get it out.  We had to slightly bend the board carefully to wiggle it out, but it came out and went back in fairly easily.  I don't know if there's "just enough" to get one out on a box chevy, but the curved cars you can.  You may be able to completely take off one of your rear doors to get it out.  Would be much easier than a back window.  I don't know though, like I said I've never tried it on the older ones.  If you successfully get it out without taking out your back window, definitely let us know!

Well, the car is back out of the garage now that nicer weather has arrived.  I have new carpeting to install so I pulled the seats and found that the carpeting and padding underneath it is completely saturated.  It was mostly wet on the passenger side and I'm guessing I have a leak up front somewhere.  Shouldn't be too hard to find with as wet as everything was after sitting all winter inside a garage.

Anyway, while the seats and carpeting are out I decided to pull the headliner board down and see if it would fit out one of the doors.  I had measured everything and it seemed like it would fit but I figured the passenger front door might have to come off to do it.  Surprisingly, once I pulled the board down and got it turned sideways it came right out without removing the door.  

So, it can be done.  While I have all of the seats and the carpeting out I don't see any reason why the headliner board wouldn't come out with just the front seat removed.

I took some pics showing it coming out the door opening:

new Headliners 100_1080

new Headliners 100_1081

new Headliners 100_1082

Now I just have to figure out a good way to fix the part that is cracked on the passenger front area around the visor.  I taped it up while removing it to keep it from breaking completely off.  I would like to be able to use this board for the new headliner material.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:46 am

Wow nice, when i had my 4 door i couldnt get the board out, but i didnt take the seats out. So thats good, it can be done.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:48 pm

Excellent news! Thanks for the confirmation. I had a sneaky suspicion it would come out through a door, but wasn't 100% sure. Also nice to know that only the front seats have to be removed. That board is very usable and looks to be in good shape overall. Be sure and remove all of the leftover fabric and the foam off the board. I always use a stiff plastic bristle carpet brush and gently brush off the majority of it lightly, then using a towel to rub the rest of the foam off. Any old foam left behind will prohibit adhesion of the new foam backed material.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:09 am