GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

Can a Double Din Radio fit in 84 Lesabre Limited

antoinefinch
    antoinefinch
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Can a Double Din Radio fit in 84 Lesabre Limited Empty Can a Double Din Radio fit in 84 Lesabre Limited

Post  antoinefinch Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:28 pm

LESABRE RADIO

Hi I have a 1984 Buick Lesabre Limited 5.0 Liter all the install kits say they change to single din with new radio installation. But the radio from the factory is larger. Why cant I install a Double Din RADIO, I want navigation,DVD,Bluetooth,TV,USB,IPOD,RDS,Micro-SD. Only the double din offers it without interfering with AC control or ashtray at bottom.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Can a Double Din Radio fit in 84 Lesabre Limited Empty Re: Can a Double Din Radio fit in 84 Lesabre Limited

Post  GM B-Body Forum Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:08 pm

Welcome to the forum! Judging by the pic, your radio is a double din, so i see no problems installing an aftermarket double din, you just wont be able to use an install kit, you might have to make your own brackets, and whatnot to make it work. Ive done alot of stereo systems, and they are not hard at all. I guess youll have to try it out, and if you do let us know how it goes.
    antoinefinch
    antoinefinch
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    10th Year Anniversary

Can a Double Din Radio fit in 84 Lesabre Limited Empty thank you now my hopes are up

Post  antoinefinch Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:23 pm

I really want that radio maybe it has brackets on the old one if I'M lucky
    THANKS
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Can a Double Din Radio fit in 84 Lesabre Limited Empty Re: Can a Double Din Radio fit in 84 Lesabre Limited

Post  solo79 Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:05 am

Glad to have you here!! I used to be a car stereo installer back in the early 2000s and I've done a ton of GM cars with your exact radio. One thing you have to keep in mind is that almost none of the install kits are perfectly designed to put one right in. Often times they are more universal and since there are so many dashes you have to get creative sometimes. It's been awhile and I don't recall a Lesabre dash right off hand, but that factory radio will usually have metal brackets attached that can be removed. Often times, you can use these same brackets on a double din, but it depends on how the aftermarket double din is made. In the past, I've used a combination of a dash kit and factory brackets and put them together to hold one in. Keep in mind too, some of these newer double dins are deeper than factory. I found this out recently when I installed a double din screen in a 93 Fleetwood. We had to cut the back of the dash plastic support out to get it to go in about another 1/2 inch to clear the factory trim face.

You should be able to get a double din install kit. Go to Best Buy and look for one that covers any 80s or 90s GM big body car (Caprice/Impala/Fleetwood etc.) Even if it doesn't list your car specifically, you will at least get the outer frame and brackets which you can modify and use.

Also, make sure you get the factory wiring harness connector. If you can't find one that lists your car, take a picture of your factory harness and take it with you. Most all of those are the same in the 80s. In fact, I bet that harness is the same as my Firebirds since they have the exact same radio as yours. You really don't want to cut your factory harness off. The adapters make it much easier and all you have to do is match colors today. 99% of stereo manufacturers use the same color wires as the factory adapter, so when you are putting them together, you can just match the colors, plug it in and good to go. Always double check the wiring diagram on the aftermarket unit and the aftermarket adapter to be sure before you begin.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:40 am

^ What Solo said.

Welcome to the forum! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 10:06 am