GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

+2
Sweet Seventy9
dougc383
6 posters

Exhaust size

dougc383
    dougc383
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Exhaust size Empty Exhaust size

Post  dougc383 Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:20 pm

Whats a good size exhaust tube ? 2.5 or 3.0 I would like to run the 3.0 inch dual all the way back, with a long tube header setup.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Exhaust size Empty Re: Exhaust size

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:48 pm

We'll need a lot more info like eng size, cam, hedder size, etc.

GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:39 pm

Unless your making over 500 horses, 2.5 pipe will be fine.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:34 pm

GM B-Body Forum wrote:Unless your making over 500 horses, 2.5 pipe will be fine.

Can it be used? - Yes.
    Should it be used? - No

Actually, 2.5" dual exhaust is way too big and will kill all the low end torque on a stock or mildly modified 305 or 350.  It will also decrease the amount of cylinder scavenging and decrease your mileage which is totally counterproductive to using hedders.  Engines need a certain amount of exhaust back-pressure to work properly.  2.5 or 3" pipe used for dual exhaust is just way to big for most cars.

Rule of thumb is: On a small block when using a 4bbl carb, 1 5/8ths inch tube diameter hedders with a stock or MILDLY modded engine and dual exhaust, 2" diameter exhaust pipe is more than adequate.  Remember, the stock 2-into-1 exhaust is only what?  2.25"?  And that handles exhaust flow from both banks.  
    Just adding a 4bbl carb and hedders to a SBC really doesn't increase air flow much due to the shitty little cam and restrictive heads.  Once you step up to a bigger cam, better heads, porting, etc., THAT'S when you start increasing air flow and need larger exhaust pipes.
    Don't believe the hype about needing a X-over either.  It balances out the exhaust pulses, my ass, lol!  It's nonsense and defeats the purpose of dual exhaust.

Please don't be one of those people that install HUGE exhaust parts on a stock engine and afterwards wonder why their car will no longer do a burn-out, is slow off the line, and runs so poorly.  IIRC, it's also against the Bro Code.  Very Happy
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:26 pm

Exactly, thats why our cars came with 2 1/4" piping single exhaust, they were designed for low end torque. Just let us know what you got.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:47 pm

PLEASE don't do this -

Exhaust size Bull_shipper_car1

Exhaust size Rice%2810%29

Exhaust size Huge_exhaust_01

lmao!
     Laughing
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:44 am

^^Those pics are hilarious.

Yea, like has been said dual 3" is way overkill and will kill performance of a mild small block and devastate a stock engine. I run a performance built 1962-67 327 with small journal forged steel crank, 10:1 flat tops, 325HP Corvette cam (with .455 lift), and 350 hp camel hump heads in my 82 Trans Am with flowtech headers w/2.5" collector into a SINGLE 3" primary into a single dual 2.5 inch out flowmaster muffler, which is just about perfect for my setup. Even my primary could stand to be a tad smaller, but it performs quite nicely and gets 19mpg on the highway at 55-60 mph (3-speed TH350 with 2200 stall converter at 2,400 rpm) and requires 93 octane minimum.
    383Falcon
    383Falcon
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Exhaust size Empty Exhaust

Post  383Falcon Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:44 pm

I agree with these fellas, When I did my exhaust I knew I was going to a bigger engine (with an idea of turbo Razz) so I put 3" dual exhaust on my 305. With 3" there is no way to get it over the rear axle so my duals spill out shortly after the muffler and just before the rear axel. It didnt kill the car, and low end acceleration was fine but it zapped it's power at highway speeds. With the 383 it is another story. It sounds great! load but not as load at the 305... The power band is good throughout now but I may run smaller piping someday to quiet it down and up the back pressure...

Last edited by 383Falcon on Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Post  Myloth Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:26 pm

I agree too even with the 455 I plan on putting in my Imp I think 2.5" will be about it. I used to know and rode once or twice with a

guy who had punched out 400 SBC in 79 Firebird with Lakepipes(nothing but the pipes) that were about 3.5" I swear that was the

loudest vehicle I have heard  outside of a Tractor Pull. The motor was built and it screamed over 3k but it had not a lot of  low end

grunt on the street.

Mmm Lakepipes now there's a thought I  .............

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:01 am