GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

EngineQuest ch350c Vortec Heads, RHS, GM 906 & 062

GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

EngineQuest ch350c Vortec Heads, RHS, GM 906 & 062 Empty EngineQuest ch350c Vortec Heads, RHS, GM 906 & 062

Post  GM B-Body Forum Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:04 pm

So this topic is dedicated to vortec heads, specifically EngineQuest. And you all can post anything related to vortec heads here. But im going to spend the most time on the EngineQuest vortec heads part number CH350C, they are known as EQ Lightning, or EQ Sledgehammer vortec heads. Sold by the company AA Midwest. The reason why im spending more time on these heads is because they are a better alternative to the original GM castings. Its all up in the air whether or not GM castings were prone to crack alot even though evidence shows they do, but to fight that, Engine Quest designed their own head exactly like the L31 vortec. Its a thicker casting so its heavier, how much? I dont exactly know, but it weighs about 51 lbs bare. EQ claims to have a redesigned and better flowing water passages/jackets to cool the head better. They are already tapped for 3/8 in screw in studs, which is a big winner on my checklist, seem as how the GM castings only have press in studs, which are fine if your bolting them on a stock small block with a super mild cam and original valve springs, but thats not my case, i need and want the extra security of screw in studs. EQ's casting was made in a foundry in Australia, but have recently changed to a new foundry in New Zealand. I have been in contact with Engine Quest and all my info im posting is directly from them. The intake runners are 176 -180cc which is more than the stock GM heads. From what i read 906 heads flowed 170cc, and the 062 were 160 something? But not sure. Engine Quest recently bought RHS (Racing Head Services) tooling on their vortec heads, which is why they changed foundries. The castings that come out are super clean and smooth, I was quite impressed when i got mine, but i still cleaned them up a bit, as there were some imperfections, but no head, and i repeat NO head is a bolt on out of the box ready one, unless they had all the good stuff done to them. Right now the EQ's are a steal on eBay, $268 each bare HERE. Ive got another topic on here of installing these heads on my engine, you can click HERE to see the journey and everything you need to do it yourself.

SPECS:
    Intake Runner 176-180cc
    Combustion Chamber 64cc
    3/8 Screw-In Studs
    1.94" Intake valve
    1.50" Exhaust valve
    3 Angle cut

FLOW NUMBERS:
    CH350C
    Chevrolet V8 5.7L Vortec
    Intake
    Lift CFM
    0.1 54
    0.2 103.9
    0.3 147.6
    0.4 194.4
    0.5 224.3
    0.6 226.2
    0.7 228.4
    Exhaust - Without pipe
    Lift CFM
    0.1 49.3
    0.2 87.6
    0.3 118.8
    0.4 139.7
    0.5 148.5
    0.6 152
    0.7 152.7

EngineQuest ch350c Vortec Heads, RHS, GM 906 & 062 20141010

EngineQuest ch350c Vortec Heads, RHS, GM 906 & 062 20141011

EngineQuest ch350c Vortec Heads, RHS, GM 906 & 062 20141012

EngineQuest ch350c Vortec Heads, RHS, GM 906 & 062 20141013
    Ive got a fel pro intake gasket on in this pic

Last edited by GM B-Body Forum on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

EngineQuest ch350c Vortec Heads, RHS, GM 906 & 062 Empty Re: EngineQuest ch350c Vortec Heads, RHS, GM 906 & 062

Post  Myloth Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:51 pm

They look good I was going to ask how much till I looked here they sound good for the money. Although I was debating

whether to spend the few dollars more and get aluminum heads what were your thoughts on say Edelbrock aluminum heads

vs these?
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

EngineQuest ch350c Vortec Heads, RHS, GM 906 & 062 Empty Re: EngineQuest ch350c Vortec Heads, RHS, GM 906 & 062

Post  GM B-Body Forum Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:49 pm

These are my thoughts on aluminum heads.

1. if you have the money get them!
    2. if your putting them on a block without it being zero decked and having flat top pistons dont bother with them, you can run a full point or more in compression with aluminum heads using the same octane gas, so if you dont have it zero decked and flat tops to take advantage of it, its not really worth it, a steel shim gasket can only do soo much, you need a good quench.
    3. this one is obvious, the weight savings which is a plus
    4. this applies to both iron and aluminum, purchase a bare set, most of the time if your running a bigger cam you will need valve springs to match and assembled pairs(not all!) usually use stock or much less of a spring rate which kills overall performance
    5. If your looking at the edelbrock e streets, those are a good looking set of heads, but ive heard mixed reviews about them (about the installed hardware, not the castings), and before i settled on iron vortecs, i had these in my shopping cart, but since everything i said in number 2 applied to me, i decided to pass, and you cant use a steel shim gasket on aluminum, you need a mls (multi layer steel) gasket, so that right there would hurt my compression ratio.
    6. the debate of durability, alot have debated that iron was more durable and less prone to cracking, aluminum is fine and very durable, i wouldnt let this be the deciding factor.
    7. again if you have the money and the block is all machined and flat tops installed id definitely go aluminum
    As with anything, they both have their pros and cons, but it just depends on what your working with.

Last edited by GM B-Body Forum on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:47 pm

I agree, my thoughts exactly that's why I haven't purchased them . I was thinking about buying a pair of yard

heads and just paying for the basic machine shop work and do the rest I have all the tools for redoing heads.

However given the price of these it would be close on cost and seems like the way to go. First I wanna see how

these 72 heads work who know maybe they have been ported have a 3 angle valve job and have been milled lol.

GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:43 pm

well when you do take them off, and if they dont already, put fel pro 1094's on to bump up the compression a bit, assuming the block hasnt been touched.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:09 pm

That's what I was thinking except I didn't know exactly what gasket precisely thank you.

As far as aluminum heads this project money isn't a huge issue(within reason lol) I need to have some though

for a decent paint job which is the single most expensive item on my list. So if I can 300-400 dollars with iron

over aluminum I will.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 6:06 am