GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

+2
Sweet Seventy9
HeavyChevy77
6 posters

95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice

HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice Empty 95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice

Post  HeavyChevy77 Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:22 pm

L
    for those following along with my other post and answering questions I thank you for giving info. Thanks to admin for his other post on the same swap his was a blueprint for me.

The rear end was removed from a 95 impala ss  ,it came to me in a weathered and beat up unit but the posi worked perfect so I overhauled the brakes changed the fluids, seals ,c clips and lock bolt 
    I painted up the rear and brake parts and put the chrome cover

When swapping from drum to disk change the combo valve for disk/disk application, my brakes still  preform excellent with the smaller master cylinder, step on the brake hard and my face is in my lap!lol 
    The 90 caprice master I was gonna use didn't fit the booster so I will need a 90 caprice booster to "finish" it off.
    Anyways here some picS
     From when I got it, installing , and completed...enjoy!

95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice Image19

95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice Image20

95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice Image22

95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice Image24

95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice Image25

95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice Image26

95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice Image27

95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice Image28

95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice Image29
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice Empty Re: 95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:27 pm

Looking good!
    HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary

95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice Empty Re: 95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice

Post  HeavyChevy77 Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:12 pm

Thanks mayne it took me longer than expected to do the job 
    i started around 130 then stopped at 5 cause my sis needed me to move a table to her pad
    by then the axle was put then the next day i had to slide the axle beacuse it was too talk to roll under the car like i thought i could 
    i had one end on the carpet on the ground and the other end on the jack and had my hand under when i pulled the axle foward it slipped and the shock mount on the axle landed and pinned my hand down..Hurt like hell and thought i broke it but i can move my fingers so it works lol it got in the tissue/muscle area between the thumb and finger on the palm side.

i should have picked it up by the center but my weak ass jack has a small mounting surface bout the same size as a soda can top 
    i took a five minute breather and carried on with the install
    i removed the arms and swaped in the new ones slid the axle in and changed the combo valve 
    by then i was too beat to bleed the brakes and just waited till today

HUGE DIFFERENCE
    accelerates way better even more when u get on it and smokes both tires up whenever u ask for it  Tho it feels like it would rather hook and pull than sit and smoke the tires
    And the brakes are awesome ! no lag in the braking like with drums but they did preform pretty good
    if you havent changed the combo valve yet you should the brakes will work way better it $50 bucks on ebay i got mine from HOTRODBKR
    I got the old combo valve for sale still in excellent condition for disk/drum if anyone interested  has chrome finish
    fourm member 25$ +shipping
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:32 pm

Awesome bro!, i love my swap too, nothing like disc brakes....I havent got around to it yet, but ive never changed the combo valve or the master cyl, but it still brakes better than the drums. I buy alot of stuff from hotrodbkr, i just bought an aluminum water pump from him yesterday.
    HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  HeavyChevy77 Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:37 pm

GM B-Body Forum wrote:Awesome bro!, i love my swap too, nothing like disc brakes....I havent got around to it yet, but ive never changed the combo valve or the master cyl, but it still brakes better than the drums. I buy alot of stuff from hotrodbkr, i just bought an aluminum water pump from him yesterday.
    if u swap the valve u may lock out the rear brakes so ull have to bleed the at the master then the wheels 
    it was bleeding low in the rear brakes and we bled it at the master and u could hear the air splurting out till a clean stream came then the brake bled normally
    im sure ur notice the difference and my pedal isnt spongy nor does it go to the floor nice and tight firm responsive oh and did i mention the burnouts hah
    JusSko77
    JusSko77
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Post  JusSko77 Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:59 pm

Question, Thought the caprice rears are 5x5. Are you guys keeping them 5x4.75 or just converting to 5x5

reason I'm asking is picked up a rear from a 94 and wanting to stay 5x4.75 namely because the rims I want aren't listed in 5x5
    HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  HeavyChevy77 Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:08 pm

Ive left mine 5x5 I want to get some 90's b body spindle to go full 5x5 due to bigger brakes and bearing size
    They was a post talking bout this recently
    Moser sell axles for the impala ss( not sure about a 9c1 more narrow axle,though the say they can be shortened and resplined) and I believe u can have them drill the bolt pattern you want BUT you will have to get your rotors drilled with matching bolt pattern
    Some have gone corvette brake conversion kits so those are 4.75x5 anyways
    JusSko77
    JusSko77
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  JusSko77 Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:01 am

HeavyChevy77 wrote:Ive left mine 5x5 I want to get some 90's b body spindle to go full 5x5 due to bigger brakes and bearing size
    They was a post talking bout this recently
    Moser sell axles for the impala ss( not sure about a 9c1 more narrow axle,though the say they can be shortened and resplined) and I believe u can have them drill the bolt pattern you want BUT you will have to get your rotors drilled with matching bolt pattern
    Some have gone corvette brake conversion kits so those are 4.75x5 anyways

Okay, now we're on the same issue. I've contacted Moser, they said the same thing you did, can make the axles to what ever specs I need. My problem is there a rotor I can grab from another car, that will retain the 5x4.75 lug pattern and clear the factory brake shoes, while still sitting in the calipers. or is redrilling the only option?
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:11 pm

3rd or 4th gen Fbody will have something in a 5x4.75 that would be an almost exact fit except the 5x5 bolt pattern.
    JusSko77
    JusSko77
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  JusSko77 Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:07 pm

Myloth wrote:3rd or 4th gen Fbody  will have something in a 5x4.75 that would be an almost exact fit except the 5x5 bolt pattern.

Was thinking that but, I was under the impression that the 3rd and 4th gens where hydro e-brakes. Where the Caprice is shoes.
    Am I wrong in this? Or is there a certain year that I'm looking for?
    johncaprice
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

95 impala ss rearend swap into 77 caprice Empty 5x4.75 rear rotors

Post  johncaprice Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:22 pm

I am having the same issue.
    (96 SS rear going in my 84 2 door)
    does anyone have an opinion on the Camaro rotor?
    Hydro Ebrake or shoes?
    I am under the impression that rear rotors off of a S-10 blazer would work if the Camaro models won't.
    HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  HeavyChevy77 Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:32 am

Did a little research and found a good candidate using a 01 camaro rotor I believe its possible to convert the 95 impala as rear to a 4.75 x5 bolt pattern. The rotor heights are almost perfect 2.328 vs camaro's 2.4 but uses a 12" outer diameter vs the impalas 11.5" so rotor to caliper clearance needs to be verified. I have yet to verify the 01 camaro parking design but if its a drum in hat style I think I found the best solution and to match the fronts to the rears I'd upgrade the front rotors to the gen 2 camaro 1LE rotors that utilize 12 (11.8)of brake surface

95 impala as rear rotor spec
    [url=http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk

=1800306&cc=1049699&jnid=457&jpid=9]http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1800306&cc=1049699&jnid=457&jpid=9[/url]

01 camaro rear rotor spec
    http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1800830&cc=1379954&jnid=763&jpid=12
    JusSko77
    JusSko77
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  JusSko77 Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:22 am

Talking to a friend that's all about the 3rd gen. Going to try his suggestion when bill balance out.
    95 caprice rear I have.
    He's hooking me up with caliper brackets, calipers, e-brake and rotors.
    Which will leave me having to source: brake line that runs across the rear, the brake cables and the e-brake brackets that spot welded under the trans tunnel on a 3rd gen.
    Going to get Moser axles, posi and rear and pinion for future power goals.

Considering that I'm omitting the parking brake and going with a hand brake. This might be the best option for my plans and center console.
    Wish me luck, gonna need it. lol
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:41 pm

Yeah you can use most Camaro rotors whether you have 11" or 12" brakes. This is GM were talking about

I'm sure you could make 2009 Impala brakes work if you wanted to. Seriously the 11" or 12"

rotors are pretty much the same except bolt pattern on the 12"s obviously but they all swap.

Even Corvette Brakes, people used to grab the B Body large Spindles and use that for a brake Swap

as base for 12" or even C4-5 brakes in F bodies or G bodies.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:47 am