GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

Possible aftermarket gauge swap help needed

Vaughn77
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Possible aftermarket gauge swap help needed Empty Possible aftermarket gauge swap help needed

Post  Vaughn77 Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:30 am

Hi everyone. I inherited my grandparent's 1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic back in 2012, when my grandfather past away. It had not been on the road for about 4 years prior to that, according the inspection sticker. Due to everything going on, I was not able to get back on the road until last year. Shortly after I got it back on the road, the gremlins of the car sitting all of those years started to appear. I now have to spend a little time on the engine and show some attention to a few other things; including the gauges. The biggest issue I have with the gauges is the fact that pin for the needle of the water temp gauge at cold is no longer there, and the needle now rests at the 9 o'clock position. Another minor issue, which is a personal quirk of my father's and mine, is the fact that we are not huge fans of the fuel economy gauge.

I did a little research and found the Dakota Digital gauges, but my father and I agreed that they would not look right in the car. So, I have been on the fence of sending the gauges to Classic Instruments to have the water gauge fixed and swapping out the fuel economy gauge for a tachometer; or, designing gauges through the Autometer Custom Shop. I have not contacted Classic Instruments yet; however, I did design the gauges on the Autometer Custom Shop website. My design consists of four 3-1/8" gauges: speedo, tach, water/volts and fuel/oil dual gauges. I also made the attempt to make the design look similar to the stock gauges in the car. I really want these gauges to look like the belong, and not an afterthought. I realize that the fitment may be an issue, and Autometer already told me that it is not a good idea to remove the bezels from the gauges. I was wondering if anyone on here would have any suggestions?
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Possible aftermarket gauge swap help needed Empty Re: Possible aftermarket gauge swap help needed

Post  Myloth Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:19 pm

You sound like you are on the right track it's either one of three choices.

What you suggest something custom but made to fit like it was original.

Or do a bug hunt for working used possibly NOS gauges and parts.

Or screw it and do what I did and put in a custom panel with multiple gauges like this here.

Possible aftermarket gauge swap help needed Th_20141107_211409

But this is NOT for the purists or restos which I am not one obviously.

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 3:08 am