GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

What to pull from 96 SS Doner car for rear end swap in 86 Caprice

qcaprice
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

What to pull from 96 SS Doner car for rear end swap in 86 Caprice Empty What to pull from 96 SS Doner car for rear end swap in 86 Caprice

Post  qcaprice Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:47 pm

I have to opportunity to purchase low mileage rear end from 96 SS. I have been looking at threads and gathering info however I still have some questions about the swap. I would like to make thia swap easy and since I have access to the car I want to know ALL the parts that I should get with the rear end. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am swapping the rear to a 86 Caprice.
    qcaprice
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

What to pull from 96 SS Doner car for rear end swap in 86 Caprice Empty Re: What to pull from 96 SS Doner car for rear end swap in 86 Caprice

Post  qcaprice Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:47 pm

anyone?
    HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

What to pull from 96 SS Doner car for rear end swap in 86 Caprice Empty Re: What to pull from 96 SS Doner car for rear end swap in 86 Caprice

Post  HeavyChevy77 Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:55 pm

Depends if u got a 7.5" diff u need arms ,driveshaft
    If u have a 8.5" diff you should be ok with the suspension stuff only
    Depends what transmission u got in the if its a 200-4r I'm sure it'd be ok
    I have a TH200 transmission and the th350 is the same length and i know the 200-4r is a direct swap has same output shaft spline count and same length
    For my 77 caprice swap I had 8.5" diff already but I got everything from drive shaft to the springs
    Tho I only used the rear end, arms ,and sway bar
    Check my post if u want
    Chrome combination valve for disk/disk only 50$ to finish the conversion....well I still gotta put the 90' caprice booster /master assembly to have (more brake fluid in the restive) the full conversion
    qcaprice
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

What to pull from 96 SS Doner car for rear end swap in 86 Caprice Empty

Post  qcaprice Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:55 pm

Thanks for reply. I have a 7.5" currently and my trans is a 700-4r. You stated 200-4r drive shaft length is the same as the SS drive shaft? Does that apply to the 700-4r also?
    HeavyChevy77
    HeavyChevy77
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  HeavyChevy77 Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:09 pm

Ok verify u have a 7.5" diff first, I thought I had one until when I pulled it the noticed the ears at the 5' & 7' o clock position on the diff flange where the cover goes, also the covers are different
    Worked out for me anyway was cheaper than buying a posi and got more spline count and disk brakes so it was a good value.
    The 200-4r is not the same as the SS drive shaft, the SS drive shaft is shorter due to the transmission being longer and since the differential is larger(if it does not have a 8.5") it would move the yoke closer to the transmission slightly, thus the need for shorter driveshaft.
    Good thing that you have a 700-R4 thats has the same driveshaft yoke as the 4L60E found in the SS , it is essentialy the 700-R4 with a computer
    In short
    If u have a 7.5" differential use the SS drive shaft
    If you have a 8.5" differential use your drive shaft or the SS which is balanced up to 140 mph

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 10:04 am