GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

5 posters

Rear Disc Brake Conversion

JusSko77
    JusSko77
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Rear Disc Brake Conversion  Empty Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Post  JusSko77 Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:33 am

Can you give me a direction on what cars we can pull from for a rear disc brake conversion.
    Heard rumors that we can pull off the dust shield drum and all and just use the bracket from a couple rear S-10s along with changing the e-brake cable.
    But don't recall the rears.

Reason I'm asking as this is holding me up from trying to find out the rim specs needed to run American Racing Torque Thrust IIs 17x9.5 up front and 17x11s out back. Expecting to have to do a mini tub to get the 11's in there and looking to bring the rim as close to the lip of the wheel wells as possible.
    Something about filling a wheel wheel and proper offset Just makes cars look a ton better IMO.

Not looking for any of that stretched tire, poking rims, camber to the max shit the stance faggles are all about in the import worlds.
    Kit1078
    Kit1078
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Rear Disc Brake Conversion  Empty Re: Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Post  Kit1078 Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:17 am

there are two popular disc swaps among the G-body crowd that should work on the B bodies without much, if any, modification.

The 98-ish to 2002 S10 blazer swap: The S10 brackets come with a parking brake cable mount built in, but there are two different versions, one for Four wheel drive, and one for Two wheel drive. The rotors for two and four wheel drive are also different, the four wheel drive has a taller 'hat'. This one you'll have to do some junkyard hopping to see what fits best.

The F body swap: Swapping rear disc from a 4th generation camaro/firebird is also popular. There are also two different versions of this: the 92-97 use an 11.5x.75" rotor and a caliper with the parking brake integrated into it. The more desirable is the 98-02 version that uses a 12x1" rotor and has the parking brake built into the rotor hat. One note: this version does not have the parking brake cable mount built into the bracket, so you'll have to build something.

There are also some aftermarket kits from Wilwood, and if you can find them, 80's camaros had a setup that used a D154 caliper.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I have a set of calipers and mounting brackets for a 98-02 Camaro I picked up. I ended up with two sets. PM me if you need to know anything or want pics.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:27 pm

Complete kits are available on ebay for around $500.
    JusSko77
    JusSko77
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  JusSko77 Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:37 pm

Kit1078 wrote:there are two popular disc swaps among the G-body crowd that should work on the B bodies without much, if any, modification.  

The 98-ish to 2002 S10 blazer swap: The S10 brackets come with a parking brake cable mount built in, but there are two different versions, one for Four wheel drive, and one for Two wheel drive.  The rotors for two and four wheel drive are also different, the four wheel drive has a taller 'hat'.  This one you'll have to do some junkyard hopping to see what fits best.  

The F body swap: Swapping rear disc from a 4th generation camaro/firebird is also popular.  There are also two different versions of this: the 92-97 use an 11.5x.75" rotor and a caliper with the parking brake integrated into it.  The more desirable is the 98-02 version that uses a 12x1" rotor and has the parking brake built into the rotor hat.  One note: this version does not have the parking brake cable mount built into the bracket, so you'll have to build something.  

There are also some aftermarket kits from Wilwood, and if you can find them, 80's camaros had a setup that used a D154 caliper.  

Hope that helps.  

P.S. I have a set of calipers and mounting brackets for a 98-02 Camaro I picked up. I ended up with two sets. PM me if you need to know anything or want pics.

You sir, have peeked my interest.

Sweet Seventy9 wrote:Complete kits are available on ebay for around $500.  

No need to drop 500.00 when ya can just upgrade with OEM parts from another car, thus making it easier to get replacements from Vatozone.
    As the stores have found out with the 240.

~I need part number XXXXXXXXXXX
    *Whats car is this for?
    ~91 Nissan 240sx KA24DE
    *The system says it doesn't fit your car.
    ~The system is wrong. Very Happy

JusSko77
    JusSko77
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  JusSko77 Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:13 pm

Have yet another brake question, Sure someone here has done it already.
    If things go according to plans this weekend. Looking to put the Sparco seats in, Where I'll also be dropping in a center console from an 86 Firechicken since the interior shapes are comparable.
    That being said, want to move the e-brake from the drivers side kick panel to the center console. Any suggestion on what cables to use, that would have the length needed when doing the disc brake conversion.
    Kit1078
    Kit1078
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Kit1078 Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:46 am

JusSko77 wrote:

No need to drop 500.00 when ya can just upgrade with OEM parts from another car, thus making it easier to get replacements from Vatozone.
    As the stores have found out with the 240.  

~I need part number XXXXXXXXXXX
    *Whats car is this for?
    ~91 Nissan 240sx KA24DE
    *The system says it doesn't fit your car.
    ~The system is wrong.  Very Happy

I actually shocked my local buddy at AutoBone one time when I went in and asked for a part that was actually meant for the car I was working on. I think he almost had a heart attack.
    JusSko77
    JusSko77
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  JusSko77 Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:55 am

Yeah the ones that been there a while know to let ya just use the puder to find what you need. As for the new ones, the pain that follows is enough to say to hell with it, I'm going to advance.
    oldsbuickhybrid
    oldsbuickhybrid
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  oldsbuickhybrid Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:10 pm

Didn't want to start a new conversion thread, but I was lucky enough to stumble into an impala ss at the junkyard. If the price is right, I want to go for the conversion. What parts would I need? Based on what I saw on the ss, I think I would only need the backing plates, calipers, and rotors? Am I missing anything?
    Boogie1468
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Rear Disc Brake Conversion  Empty Rear disc brake conversion

Post  Boogie1468 Tue May 02, 2017 9:52 pm

The 1995-96 Impala SS and some police cars 9C1s have factory rear disc brakes. On my 78, I changed the entire rear axle and proportioing valve, master cylinder and booster from a donor Impala SS. Since the 1991-1996 Impalas used an almost identical frame as the 1977-1990 Caprices, the factory brake set up works great since the brake balance on the Impala set up is just about identical to the older Caprices. And it's a bolt in. Once difference however is the 1991-96 Caprices had a 5 x 5 wheel bolt circle and the 77 - 90 Caprices had a 5 x 4.75 bolt circle.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:22 am