GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

78 Royale "The Land Yacht"

78RoyaleDelta
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

78 Royale "The Land Yacht" Empty 78 Royale "The Land Yacht"

Post  78RoyaleDelta Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:10 pm

So this car was parked a while because i was indecisive about what to do. Then i tried selling it and couldn't get it to start... Then i fired her up and couldn't get rid of her leaving her parked AGAIN. Now my father who passed it down is gone and I feel more now the need to revive it to something he would've wanted it to become. Its a 1978 Oldsmobile Delta Eighty-Eight Royale 4-door with the Oldsmobile 403ci 6.6l v8 not 100% on what transmission it has and a 8.5" 28 spline posi. Car needs some work but good to run quick errands just not trusting it yet to go a decent distance. Now that i can get the car to start I'm having a few main issues which are:
    harmonic balancer is wobbling and I'm worried if that could be any problems with the dreaded crankshaft I hear so many horror stories about or just need to repair.
    Second i need to rebuild the qjet(vacuum leak)
    Then there's my last problem that's causing worry which is a clicking sound(sometimes sounds like air being released) but it's constant and i can't pin point where Its coming from... Sounds close to driver side head...
    I will be posting all my concerns in the proper sections but figured if someone can they'll shed light on any of these issues.
    Other than those things i LOVE this car great shape other than common cosmetic issues.
    Fierro51
    Fierro51
    Sophomore Member (Tier 4)
    5th Year Anniversary

78 Royale "The Land Yacht" Empty Re: 78 Royale "The Land Yacht"

Post  Fierro51 Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:55 pm

78RoyaleDelta wrote:So this car was parked a while because i was indecisive about what to do. Then i tried selling it and couldn't get it to start... Then i fired her up and couldn't get rid of her leaving her parked AGAIN. Now my father who passed it down is gone and I feel more now the need to revive it to something he would've wanted it to become. Its a 1978 Oldsmobile Delta Eighty-Eight Royale 4-door with the Oldsmobile 403ci 6.6l v8 not 100% on what transmission it has and a 8.5" 28 spline posi. Car needs some work but good to  run quick errands just not trusting it yet to go a decent distance. Now that i can get the car to start I'm having a few main issues which are:
    harmonic balancer is wobbling and I'm worried if that could be any problems with the dreaded crankshaft I hear so many horror stories about or just need to repair.
    Second i need to rebuild the qjet(vacuum leak)
    Then there's my last problem that's causing worry which is a clicking sound(sometimes sounds like air being released) but it's constant and i can't pin point where Its coming from... Sounds close to driver side head...
    I will be posting all my concerns in the proper sections but figured if someone can they'll shed light on any of these issues.
    Other than those things i LOVE this car great shape other than common cosmetic issues.

1st, fix the balancer. If it was me I would replace it.
    2nd check all you vaccum plugs on the entire emgine/carb. Could be a few deteriorating plugs leaking in several spots.
    3rd I would go with a 4bl holley instead of a quad.. easier to mantain and work better all around.
    4th good luck with the car, always nice to see them restoreted and most of all enjoyed
    78RoyaleDelta
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  78RoyaleDelta Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks for the reply and being straight to the point.

This car will be a close to daily driver for now at best ill take it to a decent street build. Nothing over 300hp.

1. Any recommendation on what balancer to use? This one seems to be a solid piece. My main concern is it wobbles out of control at idle mostly. Could this be issues with the crank shaft due to the main? I'll google search myself but any info is apreciated.

2. Ive ran thru my vacuum its staying on alot better but im guessing my carb has a gasket leak too

3.At the moment the budget allows a rebuild of the qjet only.

4. Thanks Fierro51 I cant wait to see this tank rolling again. Ive been meaning to post a video to show it off
    Fierro51
    Fierro51
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Fierro51 Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:33 am

78RoyaleDelta wrote:Thanks for the reply and being straight to the point.

This car will be a close to daily driver for now at best ill take it to a decent street build. Nothing over 300hp.

1. Any recommendation on what balancer to use? This one seems to be a solid piece. My main concern is it wobbles out of control at idle mostly. Could this be issues with the crank shaft due to the main? I'll google search myself but any info is apreciated.

2. Ive ran thru my vacuum its staying on alot better but im guessing my carb has a gasket leak too

3.At the moment the budget allows a rebuild of the qjet only.

4. Thanks Fierro51 I cant wait to see this tank rolling again. Ive been meaning to post a video to show it off

Anyone really makes good balancer i.e. speedmaster,prw and dayco. Or just call napa or whatever parts you have aound an get a replacement oem. It all depends on budget. But first Double check the bolt hasnt come loose as it could only wobble from that unless its a 2 piece and is coming apart ... hard to believe it has a bent crank snout...

Get a can of carb cleaner start it up let it idle and spray around the carb base, intake ports, and vacuum ports an see if you get change in rpm.. then take thre air cleaner and base off and spray around the carb (throttle shaft seals) and see what happens could even bee the air cleaner isnt tight or the seal at the bottom is bad..alot of things to look for.

Keep an eye out for old racers selling 4bbl holleys they are cheap to get and cheap to rebuild... might suprise you if you Craigslist search one..

You and me both, my projects been sitting for almost a year

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:55 am