GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

HVAC thermal cutout switch location

coreys77
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

HVAC thermal cutout switch location Empty HVAC thermal cutout switch location

Post  coreys77 Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Anyone know where it is at. I even have a factory manual but no luck. We have replaced the blower relay, the resistor, fuse is good, power to the relay connector is good also. Replacing the blower motor tomorrow as I'm sure it needs a new one anyways. Only $20 anyways. Any suggestions would be great. Blower switch behind the dash is next I guess.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

HVAC thermal cutout switch location Empty Re: HVAC thermal cutout switch location

Post  GM B-Body Forum Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:30 pm

I assume your talking about the little thermal delay switch, its located under the dash behind the radio bezel, so youll have to take it off, ill see if i can get a pic if you cant find it, but its round and has two prongs which plugs in, there will be two brown and one yellow wires going to it, if thats the problem, you can just bypass it, it does nothing useful anyways, it allows the blower motor to keep blowing even when the heat/ac is off, just a continuous flow of air, and once it gets to cold it will shut the blower off. I cant remember if i unplugged it and tried the blower to see if it still worked without it, ill check it out, and report back lol.
    coreys77
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    10th Year Anniversary

HVAC thermal cutout switch location Empty Re: HVAC thermal cutout switch location

Post  coreys77 Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:46 am

Thanks! We will look for it this evening. I appreciate the help.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:52 am

Ok so here is what it looks like, i was able to pull it down with out removing the bezel, but yours will probably be tucked away. But it only allows the blower to stay on, on low even with the switch in the off position, I unplugged it, and it does not affect the other 3 speeds, so this is not your problem, try the speed control switch next, and maybe if the blower moter housing is rusty, might not be getting a good ground, or maybe its burnt out completely. If you have power at the blower relay, i would think its the blower motor then, let me know what happens
    HVAC thermal cutout switch location Therma10

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:02 am