GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

Unplug MAP sensor

farrellapparel
    farrellapparel
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Unplug MAP sensor Empty Unplug MAP sensor

Post  farrellapparel Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi, I have a 1985 LeSabre w/ Olds 307. My MAP sensor was doing crazy things intermittently so I unplugged it. Do you think it should be replaced or is it not so important 9back in 85?) thnx - John
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Unplug MAP sensor Empty Re: Unplug MAP sensor

Post  GM B-Body Forum Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:34 pm

It will definitely run without it, just not optimal or max effeciency, since its what helps determine the air fuel ratio along with the narrow band o2 sensor on these obd1's Theyre not very expensive, id try a new one.
    farrellapparel
    farrellapparel
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  farrellapparel Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:15 am

OK, I'll get a new MAP sensor. Since I figured you'd know - if I delete the catalytic converter, what should I do with the sensor that plugs into the exhaust? Does eliminating the cat hurt performance because of it?  thnx
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:56 am

Nope deleting the cat won't hurt it, the o2 sensor is before it any way so you'll be good, you might notice a tiny bit more power and fuel mileage once you remove it, if it was really bad and getting to the point of clogging up. Now for the sensor, I dont know how its setup on an olds 307, but the sensor location on a 305 was on the driver side maybe a foot down from the manifold and was no where near the cat, so you could remove the cat without touching it. I might be reading your post wrong but it sounded to me that your saying youd have to remove the sensor if you removed the cat. If your keeping it all original id keep all the sensors still attached.
    farrellapparel
    farrellapparel
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Unplug MAP sensor Empty ECM & MEM-CAL in 1984 Buick 307

Post  farrellapparel Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:37 am

Can anyone explain what I need? I keep getting a 41 OBD code. The car runs perfectly but occasionally will choke and sputter / barely idle. Then it snaps out of it and runs fine for another 10 minutes. Distributor is new. 41 code says bad "MEM-CAL." Should I find a used MEMCAL or just get an intact ECM on ebay? I am unfamiliar with this stuff. Thanks, John
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 pm

If memcal is showing its definitely the ecm, you can go to your local auto parts store an order a reman, but you have to remove and keep the old chip/prom from the old computer, if the chip itself is bad that wont fix the issue, if you aren't able to locate a new chip (if it needs it)then I would suggest removing it all and go carbureted.

Is it showing 3 different 41 codes? Or,just mem cal? Because it could also be cam sensor, crank sensor, or faulty icm ignition control module.
    farrellapparel
    farrellapparel
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  farrellapparel Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:53 pm

Just 41 code. It starts/runs fine. Just wants to almost die every ten minutes for 10 seconds - then it's fine. It is 1984 so it has computer but I think I know what you mean - go zero electronics.

I tested ignition control module - it's good, and the distributor looks brand new. Since it starts fine I figured that would rule out cam sensor. Does MEMCAL = "chip?" If I get a new/used ECM, why not get chip that comes with it? Why must chip remain with orig car? In the meantime, I will try the 5 or so ways to reset the ECM and see if that makes a dent. Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1226519-CXZ-1984-BUICK-OEM-ENGINE-CONTROL-MODULE-UNIT-PCM-ECM-ECU-/291555074672?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:40 pm

They just dont make the chip not sure exactly why, there were only so many different combinations, seems like they would. The icm can test fine but once heated or if it experiences shock or,vibration can go haywire, then once cooled down acts fine again, however it seems you have timed its episodes and,they seem consistent. Perhaps the chip is bad or sensor and the computer is going into limp mode, I'm not an obd1 expert, obd1 might not have a limp mode but those episodes are pretty consistent. Oh and the other sensors can act the same way, fine then once up to operating temp they can go haywire. A lot of times they dont just fail. Mem cal indicates the on board chip/prom yes. There's just so many things it could be it gets frustrating. In my last post when I said carbureted I meant no electronics haha its already carbureted, I was thinking of fuel injection. If you do remove everything you can still use the same carb, it'll work with out being plugged in.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 5:36 am