GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

Poll: Rear Lighting Options

MCMLXXXI Caprice
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Poll:  Rear Lighting Options Empty Poll: Rear Lighting Options

Post  MCMLXXXI Caprice Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:36 pm

Before I get to my poll/question, I'll share some possibly redundant information, as I realize this forum is for B-bodies and not just Caprices:
    The stock way in which the three-per-side rear lighting is utilized on the 1977 - 1990 Caprices (possibly before 1977 and after 1990 also, but I don't know for sure), is that all six lights are used as tail lights/running lights, and on each side of the vehicle centreline, the middle light performs only this function, whereas the outer two lights on each side of the vehicle centreline also act as the brake lights and turn signal lights. So, from left-to-right, the six-across light assignments would be labelled as follows:
    1 - Taillight/Left Turn Signal/Brake, 2 - Taillight, 3 - Taillight/Left Turn Signal/Brake, 4 - Taillight/Right Turn Signal/Brake, 5 - Taillight, 6 - Taillight/Right Turn Signal/Brake.
    At this point in my restoration, I'm about to start wiring up the tail lights, and I'm basically met with the following three wiring options, and I'm wondering what you all think would be the best course of action.

Poll Option #1) Leave it STOCK as outlined above.

Poll Option #2) Use the European Export Model wiring scheme, using separate brake and turn signals, albeit while retaining the North American Model look with all red lenses (true European models use amber turn signal lenses). From left-to-right, the six-across lighting assignments would be as follows:
    1 - Taillight/Left Turn Signal, 2 - Taillight/Brake, 3 - Taillight/Brake, 4 - Taillight/Brake, 5 - Taillight/Brake, 6 - Taillight/Right Turn Signal

Poll Option #3) Also separate turn signal lights and brake lights, except use the currently single function middle light on each side as the turn signal light, while retaining the use of the outer lights on either side for the brake lights. From left-to-right, the six-across lighting assignments would be as follows:
    1 - Taillight/Brake, 2 - Taillight/Left Turn Signal, 3 - Taillight/Brake, 4 - Taillight/Brake, 5 - Taillight/Right Turn Signal, 6 - Taillight/Brake

To make matters even more complicated, I'd like to add a secondary poll to the mix. Also pertaining specifically to the rear lighting, should I

Poll B Option 1) Use incandescent bulbs, or,

Poll B Option 2) Use LED bulbs?
    Fierro51
    Fierro51
    Sophomore Member (Tier 4)
    Sophomore Member (Tier 4)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Poll:  Rear Lighting Options Empty Re: Poll: Rear Lighting Options

Post  Fierro51 Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:31 pm

MCMLXXXI Caprice wrote:Before I get to my poll/question, I'll share some possibly redundant information, as I realize this forum is for B-bodies and not just Caprices:
    The stock way in which the three-per-side rear lighting is utilized on the 1977 - 1990 Caprices (possibly before 1977 and after 1990 also, but I don't know for sure), is that all six lights are used as tail lights/running lights, and on each side of the vehicle centreline, the middle light performs only this function, whereas the outer two lights on each side of the vehicle centreline also act as the brake lights and turn signal lights.  So, from left-to-right, the six-across light assignments would be labelled as follows:
    1 - Taillight/Left Turn Signal/Brake, 2 - Taillight, 3 - Taillight/Left Turn Signal/Brake, 4 - Taillight/Right Turn Signal/Brake, 5 - Taillight, 6 - Taillight/Right Turn Signal/Brake.
    At this point in my restoration, I'm about to start wiring up the tail lights, and I'm basically met with the following three wiring options, and I'm wondering what you all think would be the best course of action.

Poll Option #1)  Leave it STOCK as outlined above.

Poll Option #2)  Use the European Export Model wiring scheme, using separate brake and turn signals, albeit while retaining the North American Model look with all red lenses (true European models use amber turn signal lenses).  From left-to-right, the six-across lighting assignments would be as follows:  
    1 - Taillight/Left Turn Signal, 2 - Taillight/Brake, 3 - Taillight/Brake, 4 - Taillight/Brake, 5 - Taillight/Brake, 6 - Taillight/Right Turn Signal

Poll Option #3)  Also separate turn signal lights and brake lights, except use the currently single function middle light on each side as the turn signal light, while retaining the use of the outer lights on either side for the brake lights.  From left-to-right, the six-across lighting assignments would be as follows:
    1 - Taillight/Brake, 2 - Taillight/Left Turn Signal, 3 - Taillight/Brake, 4 - Taillight/Brake, 5 - Taillight/Right Turn Signal, 6 - Taillight/Brake

To make matters even more complicated, I'd like to add a secondary poll to the mix.  Also pertaining specifically to the rear lighting, should I

Poll B Option 1)  Use incandescent bulbs, or,

Poll B Option 2)  Use LED bulbs?

im personally all for stock with led lights. but then again im adding aftermarket reverse lights under the bumper to help as well

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:47 pm