GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

Gas tank upgrade

Shaun smith
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Gas tank upgrade Empty Gas tank upgrade

Post  Shaun smith Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:26 pm

I’m trying to figure out if a fuel Injected fuel pump will fit in the one gas tank ?
    BrokenBlazerDave
    BrokenBlazerDave
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Gas tank upgrade Empty Re: Gas tank upgrade

Post  BrokenBlazerDave Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:44 am

I can tell you that a 1990 Chevrolet Caprice with a fuel injected 305 fuel tank will fit into a 1981 Buick LeSabre. I wanted a better pump set up so I put an Aeromotive 340 Liter per hour pump on a 1990 Caprice sending unit and put the whole assembly into my car. A fuel injected pump will fit on to a carburated sending unit with major modifications such as cutting the feed line shorted to allow the pump to fit, reattaching the fuel level sender, adding a return line to the top of the sending unit, addind a mount to support the bottom of the pump. Not worth the effort for the price of the replacement sending unit. Give some more details on your set up and I might be able to give a more exact answer. If you are just trying to add a fuel injection sending unit to a carb tank keep in mind there is not a sump in a carb tank.
    Kit1078
    Kit1078
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Kit1078 Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:59 pm

I'm running a plastic tank from a '94 roadmaster that I found at a local wrecking yard for cheap. Took a couple trips to the local 'u pull it' to find a decent sending unit and filler neck, but all told, with new straps, I've got maybe $100 in the setup. The only pain is figuring out a bracket to mount the filler neck support to, since the newer filler necks have a rubber hose where they attach to the tank, where the older tanks it's actually part of the tank.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 3:40 am