GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

Torque convertor choice?

terry cronk
    terry cronk
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    Freshman Member (Tier 3)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Torque convertor choice? Empty Torque convertor choice?

Post  terry cronk Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:24 pm

I installed a 700R4 last spring. It was rebuilt by a local car guy. At that time I purchased a smaller convertor for the 4.3 V6. It lets it stall to 2000 rpm.
    It has the lockup ability at about 55-60 mph when running in OD. So it still gets half way decent mileage.

My question is my wanting a little more out of the hole when brake torqueing.

Are there any suggestions from those here who run the 700R4? Its heavy duty built.

impaloligist
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Torque convertor choice? Empty Re: Torque convertor choice?

Post  impaloligist Fri May 03, 2019 5:53 am

I ran a Corvette converter in my 90 Caprice for a while.  It had a 2200 stall, and was real fun on the street.  Converter companies rate the stall at flash stall.  Which is different then footbrake stall.  This means that the 2000 stall number is higher then the RPM that the engine will make before it will start to spin the tires or start to develop too much heat which will contribute to trans/converter damage.  There is nothing you can do to the converter you already have to change the stall, or get better performance from it.  You can change the converter out with a higher stall unit.  The best thing you can do is to call a company that builds converters and let them help you decide what stall would be most beneficial to you on your particular application.  Also, your lockup speed seems kind of high.  OD transmissions are usually in lockup around 41 to 46 MPH, in third or fourth.
    383Falcon
    383Falcon
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  383Falcon Wed May 20, 2020 7:55 pm

I also have a corvette 2200 stall in my 700r4, mated to a 383 with 2:56 rear end, it moves the car and highway mileage is satisfactory considering the lousy heads Im running

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 5:51 am