GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

Matching the paint vs painting the whole car

Parisienne
    Parisienne
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Matching the paint vs painting the whole car Empty Matching the paint vs painting the whole car

Post  Parisienne Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Ok So i bought a 1979 pontiac Parisienne rebuilt the 305 did brake lines and gas lines with my friends dad and put a hole pile of work into a car that needed alot of care now it looks amazing on one side and the other side has these blotched spots so i grinded it down and for the life of me every paint drys darker or lighter even after they use a paint matcher it comes up as Chrysler
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

Matching the paint vs painting the whole car Empty Re: Matching the paint vs painting the whole car

Post  Myloth Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:42 am

I've only had luck matching paint on newer cars something 10 years or newer with older cars (30+)

I never could get a good match myself. I did see a good match on an old Challenger that a friend had mixed

professionally but I would say plan for a complete repaint at some point. For one that paint is baked lacquer

that's what they used back then hard to match it today and not recommended anymore. Hence the call for a

recoat of the paint that's there at the minimum. And I'm not an expert by any stretch but much of this

I have been told by shops and those more in the know than myself. My car is a 79' and all the white paint

is there but I plan for a complete paint job at some point in the near future. This calls for a sand and primer

though so ... lots of elbow grease required or money . One thing I did once on an old Chevy was gave it a two

tone paint job to cover the bottom paint that was worn without having to repaint the entire car it looked

decent.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Matching the paint vs painting the whole car Empty Re: Matching the paint vs painting the whole car

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Matching 35yo paint is tough even for the pros.  I was gonna suggest a 2 tone paint job but myloth beat me to it.

BTW, welcome to the forum!
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:47 pm

If you have a Landau top though a little Dupli-color goes a long way I just turned top and the side trim black till I get them

replaced they were faded blue.

Matching the paint vs painting the whole car Th_2014-10-11-IMP
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Myloth wrote:If you have a Landau top though a little Dupli-color goes a long way I just turned top and the side trim black till I get them
    replaced they were faded blue.
    ][/url]

It looks WAAAAAY better in black.
    Don't lose the lower edge trim, it's almost impossible to replace.
    Cool info: A few years ago Chicago Muscle Car Parts used your car in their advertisement for those exact pieces, lol! Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:39 pm