GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

2 posters

Smog delete/air flow overhaul in a '77 Wagon questions

kingpenm3
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Smog delete/air flow overhaul in a '77 Wagon questions Empty Smog delete/air flow overhaul in a '77 Wagon questions

Post  kingpenm3 Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:55 pm

I just got my hands on a sweet 77 Caprice Wagon! I'm trying to get a parts list together to tidy things up a bit. Looking for any and all advice I can get.

Here is what I know: The cold air intake is rotted out, oil is leaking from the passenger valve cover, the exhaust pipe from the cat to the muffler is rusted bad, and, to my surprise, the car has plenty of power for me.

Before I got the car my plan was to do a big cam and head swap to get some power, but I just can't believe how this big ole car can move as is! So now my plan is to just take care of the simpler swaps on the top and bottom of the engine. What I have in mind is to remove the smog pump and everything it is attached to and put these parts in:

Air cleaner and Edelbrock 1406 Carb
    New valve covers
    Flowtech Headers
    Flowmaster scavenger Y pipe
    Flowmaster series 40 muffler

Am I on the right track? Those parts make sense? Should those headers fit? It seems like a set of full size headers sure would sit low under the car. My plan is to just keep things single and have a local exhaust shop fab up all the connections. Thanks in advance for any input.

Pics of new ride:

Smog delete/air flow overhaul in a '77 Wagon questions IMG_20160827_1551487_zpsmxdvkylj

Smog delete/air flow overhaul in a '77 Wagon questions IMG_20160828_1205506_zps7dvhg4jh

Smog delete/air flow overhaul in a '77 Wagon questions IMG_20160828_1205594_zpshxazsryu
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

Smog delete/air flow overhaul in a '77 Wagon questions Empty Re: Smog delete/air flow overhaul in a '77 Wagon questions

Post  Myloth Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:29 pm

Nice find indeed! Is that 305 or 350 or something else?
    kingpenm3
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    Newbie (Tier 1)
    5th Year Anniversary

Smog delete/air flow overhaul in a '77 Wagon questions Empty Re: Smog delete/air flow overhaul in a '77 Wagon questions

Post  kingpenm3 Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:31 pm

Factory 350!

Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:52 pm

Oh now wonder you say it feels snappy even a factory 350 is decent. I have Edelbrock Induction (Performer Manifold and 1405 Carb)

It works good on my 79' 305 with stock pipes ,it work great I bet on your 350 with some headers.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 10:36 pm