GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

4 posters

Landau Vinyl top Delete

Myloth
    Myloth
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

Landau Vinyl top Delete Empty Landau Vinyl top Delete

Post  Myloth Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:01 pm

I just pulled my Landau vinyl roof tonight, I thought I'd share what I found for those who are curious.

Pleasantly surprised I would say is the consensus , no rust other than what I knew already (Black circles in pics).

Also there was plenty of white paint to be found in pristine shape other than the old glue which is all there on the roof

no rust spots. Some have have talked about trim issues doing this but this vinyl is THIN I don't see a HUGE problem

using the original trim again. I know there all kinds of issues with G-bodies doing this removal but this seems less

traumatic than the G-Bodies look to do. I'll know more in a few days though.

Landau Vinyl top Delete Dsc01713

Landau Vinyl top Delete Dsc01715

Landau Vinyl top Delete Dsc01712

Landau Vinyl top Delete Dsc01714
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

Landau Vinyl top Delete Empty Re: Landau Vinyl top Delete

Post  Myloth Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:08 pm

If you are wondering how hard it is to get glue off. It is not bad in my case it's 40 years old and crusty about half of it came off with an old RDRAM blank(plastic) I used as a scraper. Few tough spots and chips though . Some recommend solvents but I have found this old laquer paint seems to dissolve pretty easy compared to newer factory paints. The only solvent I have used is Goo-Gone.I'am Hoping to hit with steel wool maybe 1500 grit paper and touch up the paint.
    Xtreme Thunder
    Xtreme Thunder
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Xtreme Thunder Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:17 pm

That looks pretty good. I have an '87 Coupe with the Landau package, I'm afraid to remove the top. It is all cracked and dry rotted, I can hear some crunch when I push down against certain points of the roof edge, and that can't be good. I am expecting the worst.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Try wetting a rag with gasoline and laying it on the glue. The gas will dissolve it in a couple minutes. Be sure to keep the rag wet.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:43 pm

Thanks,  the last bit I will need some kind of solvent I removed quite a bit though here is are shots I just took. I found two tiny holes on the spot by windshield that I JB Welded for now. I have heard some the 80s Landaus had small window with plastic\fiberglass frames that would be a pain. If your 87' has regular window the rust will only get worse leaving the vinyl like that. I'd worry more to leave it , I should have pulled this vinyl two-three years ago.

Landau Vinyl top Delete Dsc01716

Landau Vinyl top Delete Dsc01717
    Xtreme Thunder
    Xtreme Thunder
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Xtreme Thunder Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:10 am

The vehicle sits in a garage and hasn't gotten wet since I purchased it 11/2014, so it has been drying out nicely, and hopefully not creating any further rust. I bring it out on nice days when I can, and the humidity in the garage where I have it stored ranges between 40-70%, so it's pretty decent. I'll pull the top eventually, but I am ready as the parts vehicle has an excellent non-Landau top roof ready to be placed when I am ready for body work.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:57 pm

Here are pics of all glue removed (By scraping even gas removes paint too much) I just need light sand and toucup but not bad now. The arrows show the areas where the welds
    are and they are not finished they need to be.(Grinding /filling) Even though they painted the top they did not smooth the welds.

Landau Vinyl top Delete 07121710

Landau Vinyl top Delete 07121711
    bj383ss
    bj383ss
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  bj383ss Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:11 pm

I pulled my top many years ago and have the same unfinished parts where the roof is attached. I did not have any rust on mine on the top. I did have the same rust on the back pillar. I cut it out and welded in a new piece. The rust I have now is in the top of the driver door. Which is a weird spot.

I ended up fogging mine with primer white because I had painted my car. It has held up surprisingly well.

Bret

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:40 pm