GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

+9
bgkid2966
razzbury_shark
Myloth
jacob79caprice2dr
79treemaster
Sweet Seventy9
kartmaster
GM B-Body Forum
solo79
13 posters

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now...

mylilcaddy
    mylilcaddy
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    5th Year Anniversary
    Celebrating 5 years of being our member!

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Empty Swapping out rear bumper on new project?

Post  mylilcaddy Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:31 am

You sure do fine work and like myself want the best I can get (like the newer floorboards you told me about). Way earlier you mentioned maybe getting a newer rear bumper, just wondering what ever happened about that.It looked pretty good in the older pics. Mine is held together by the chrome and the Paducah Int'l Speedway bumper sticker! If you get a notion to change it and it's still in one piece let me know. My 79 has always been a KY car but I drove it to MI & NY too many winters and the sun down here is dry rotting all the plastic but I'm going to get it back right. It's like cruising in a Cadillac, but less expensive. I haven't used them yet but Browns Plating in Paducah has been highly recommended to me locally since the 80's. Might want to contact them.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Empty Re: '79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now...

Post  solo79 Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:53 pm

Well, finally time for an update!

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_1910

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_1911

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_1913

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_1914

I'm getting lots done.  Got a nice foot this time.  This was the second snow in two weeks.  Had around 8 inches a couple of weeks ago and after it was all about melted, thought maybe I'll get something done, then a nice foot happened after a ton of rain.

I swear, there is a Caprice over there somewhere on blocks.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Empty Re: '79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now...

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:02 pm

I was wondering if you were getting snow in your area. I guess so, lol!
    Myloth
    Myloth
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:59 pm

yeah what a mess here's half the ice I helped pull out of my neighbor's driveway yesterday

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Th_20150309_134842

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Th_20150309_134849

My driveway is pretty dry still lots of snow to melt and it's a beautiful 47 degrees right now!

(Last week we an overnight low -28 !)

So what's first on your list?

solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:36 pm

Myloth wrote:yeah what a mess here's half the ice I helped pull out of my neighbor's driveway yesterday

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Th_20150309_134842

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Th_20150309_134849

My driveway is pretty dry still lots of snow to melt and it's a beautiful 47 degrees right now!

(Last week we an overnight low -28 !)

So what's first on your list?

Mine is finally all gone now and it's been some nice weather. Got the car uncovered today to get a shift knob for another member and to check the car out from the long winter lay up. Looks the same as I left it.lol No new rust which is good! I think having it up high on blocks has helped keep air moving around it better keeping it dryer.

First on my list is to buy my own welder with my tax refund which I should have in a few weeks. Waiting on others is not fun. I also picked up a couple of new battery powered drills and new spot weld cutter bits and a few other cutting items. That old floor is coming out soon!
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Sounds great a new welder! I am still waiting on the snow around my home and shed to thaw as I can not get to my

dirtbike on the side of the shed or the summer rims\tires under the house PITA. I am glad you are going to get that pan

finally though I want to see some welding pics! I believe my quarters rusted a bit over the winter but that was to be

expected they are rough and need a lot of TLC, glad you didn't have any oxidation issues.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:06 pm

Its been in the 70s and 80s this whole month here in NC! snowed only once the whole winter!! Grass has already been mowed twice lol
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:06 pm

GM B-Body Forum wrote:Its been in the 70s and 80s this whole month here in NC! snowed only once the whole winter!! Grass has already been mowed twice lol

Lucky you, we've had a cold snowy March and now flood warning for the past 2 weeks. The Ohio River is about 4 feet above flood stage around here. Luckily, even though I'm in a flood plain, it's not even close to me yet and it won't get here since the river has already crested and is going back down. It would have to be '37 levels to get me. Even '97 didn't get me. '37 levels would put about 4 feet in my house which would suck. I'd have all my cars out of here in time though.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:14 pm

Time for a LONG overdue update... 7 months later.  Currently, my KITT car is in the process of being re-painted, so I haven't spent much time on the Caprice this year.   I decided to tinker with the car today and remove some more trim and the quarter glasses.  Then, I thought, I'm going to investigate these cracks in the paint and I wish I hadn't touched it!!  More aggravation!  Looks like whoever painted this car last did a really crappy job.  They just filled in the hole by the back window with bondo and filled in some kind of rust/weld on the roof.  This was the only two places where the paint had cracks, so maybe that's all of the rust holes filled with bondo (fingers crossed).  It's fixable, but it still sucks.  After that, I put the car cover back on and then put a huge tarp on it for the winter.  Pics:

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2310

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2311

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2312

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2313

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2314

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2315
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:47 am

Ow nothing like finding other peoples shoddy body work . No more work then till the spring?

Fortunately here it's been a warm fall (My grass is still green!) and have gotten a bit done.

these past few weeks

Have any pics of the Kitt progress ?
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Myloth wrote:Ow nothing like finding other peoples shoddy body work . No more work then till the spring?

Fortunately here it's been a warm fall (My grass is still green!) and have gotten a bit done.

these past few weeks

Have any pics of the Kitt progress ?

Yea, no more work until KITT is painted and completely put back together which at this point looks like it will be awhile. I dropped the car off in late July and it's barely been touched so far... It's going to take me a month to get all of the dust out of it and another month to put it back together.

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2321

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2323

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2324

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2325

If all goes well, the Caprice will have the floor pan replaced here and the car will be painted here as well.

Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:22 pm

That's only problem with body work there's usually a line. I have a neighbor who did all his outside in his driveway

on an old chevy van and it came out good the only thing he's waiting for now that he dropped it off is to get painted and

now he's in line!
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:12 pm

Myloth wrote:That's only problem with body work there's usually a line. I have a neighbor who did all his outside in his driveway

on an old chevy van and it came out good the only thing he's waiting for now that he dropped it off is to get painted and

now he's in line!

Yea, that yellow car is ahead of me. I got a text today from my painter telling me the yellow car is now gone. So, I'm up. When that GTO "pile" on the left is gone, I'm hoping my Caprice will take that spot.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:47 am

Well I can't wait to see both of them finished.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:18 pm

I assume you are sticking with black for the bird. What about the Caprice what color? Original?

I know I am probably not going to stay with white it's the worst color gets dirty way to easily.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:48 am

Myloth wrote:I assume you are sticking with black for the bird. What about the Caprice what color? Original?

I know I am probably not going to stay with white it's the worst color gets dirty way to easily.

Oh yea, black for KITT, no other color will do. As for the Caprice, the Carmine Metallic has grown on me. However, I was at a car show this year and spotted a Dodge Challenger with a factory carmine red color and I may be going with that shade instead of the GM color. It looked really good.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:04 pm

I know what you mean I have seen some newer Mopars that their color appealed to me. Very reminiscent of

Hotrod colors in the 90s when people were doing out of the ordinary solid colors.
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Mon May 16, 2016 11:57 am

How you making out with your cars this year?
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Mon May 16, 2016 6:36 pm

Myloth wrote:How you making out  with your cars this year?

Not as well as I'd like to be. Zilch on the Caprice, and slow and steady on KITT. I decided a few months back that nothing would resume on the Caprice until the KITT car is back from paint and put back together. I'm just collecting parts for the Caprice here and there. I can't deal with two projects at the same time, so the Caprice just sits.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Mon May 16, 2016 6:49 pm

Progress pictures of KITT.  I decided to go ahead and deal with the ttop area even though originally, I wasn't going to get into it this deep, but it needed to be done.  The rails were rusted really bad on this car and some were completely gone.  Several years ago, I went to a junkyard and drilled out spot welds removed good rails in hopes of fixing it back then, but never got around to it.  Thankfully, I found the rails!  All of the work on the ttop area you see was done by me since I went over there and did it.  I'm also blocking and doing whatever else I can to help get the car done.

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2413

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2412

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2414

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2410

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2419

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2411

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2415

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2417

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2416

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2418
    Myloth
    Myloth
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Myloth Tue May 17, 2016 9:02 am

So how far out are you from getting it painted? Can you throw some pics of your

progress with this I'd be interested.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Fri May 27, 2016 9:47 pm

Myloth wrote:So how far out are you from getting it painted? Can you throw some pics of your

progress with this I'd be interested.

...a little farther along than the pics directly above. We got the TTOP rails welded on this week and some more sanding done. I'll try to post some more pics next week, but still a long way from paint.
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:55 pm

KITT is painted and put back together. I got the car back in October and spent a little over two months putting it back together. All that's left really is installing the dash electronics which I should have by next week and that will take me about a month to do, maybe less depending on work schedule. Then, I can finally get back on the Caprice!

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2817

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2819

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2818

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2820

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2821
    solo79
    solo79
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  solo79 Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:07 pm

and speaking of the Caprice...I almost lost it in a fire. This is what happens when you have neighbors two lots down trying to burn old trees on windy days. I got off easy, but my immediate neighbor had some slight fire damage to his house. This happened last month. I wasn't even home, my neighbor calls me at work and said my Caprice was in a brush fire. I left work and raced home!

The tree:

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2921

The Caprice, which didn't get it bad since the fire department showed up just as it was starting to burn:

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2917

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2920

Melted paint off of the door:

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2918

'79 Chevy Caprice 2-door then and now... - Page 7 Img_2919

It could have been a whole lot worse. If the interior had been in the car, the flames would have most likely licked up into the carpet and caught it along with the seats and everything else and it would have been bad. Luckily, just some melted paint and melted weatherstripping on the bottom of the door. There was nothing inside the car to catch fire. I'm supposed to be getting an insurance check for the damage to the door and my tarp and car cover.

Fierro51
    Fierro51
    Sophomore Member (Tier 4)
    Sophomore Member (Tier 4)
    5th Year Anniversary

Post  Fierro51 Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:49 pm

what ever happened with this build man?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:02 pm