GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1977-1990, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

3 posters

Picture of the Caprice with the rear end installed.

79treemaster
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary
    10 years of being a member on our forum!

Picture of the Caprice with the rear end installed. Empty Picture of the Caprice with the rear end installed.

Post  79treemaster Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:00 am

I got the 8.5 installed that I got out of a 83 police cruiser. Lower control arms, shocks, Canuck Motorsports 1.5" lowering springs. I will say they lowered it quite a bit and these were for the 1979 Caprice not the 1994-1996 Impala SS. I wish they made a 4" plus backspacing with the wheels I got on the back they did not and they are only 3.75 so I am hoping the rear don't squat too much and hit my new 275x60x15 M/T drag radials. The fronts should be here this week they are 15x7 rims with M/T SR's that are 245x60's. Now I just have to get the driveshaft shortened, re-welded, balanced and new U-Joints and should be just about ready for the road again.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/1000356_10201569217605927_998032563_n.jpg

Sweet Seventy9
    Sweet Seventy9
    *Senior Moderator*
    *Senior Moderator*
    Helpful and Responsive Member!
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Picture of the Caprice with the rear end installed. Empty Re: Picture of the Caprice with the rear end installed.

Post  Sweet Seventy9 Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:18 am

She's coming along nicely!

Good looking wheels! What are they, ARE's?
    I ran a set of Cragar Quick Trik wheels on my white impala for a while. They're similar to yours but were all steel.
    79treemaster
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

Picture of the Caprice with the rear end installed. Empty Re: Picture of the Caprice with the rear end installed.

Post  79treemaster Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:43 am

ARE's Outlaw 2's. Wanted to get a little weight out of it. I know the 11" drum brakes on the rear made up for it.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    Very active with responding and helping other members with questions and concerns.
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:51 am

thanks for the pic, im getting those springs now
    79treemaster
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  79treemaster Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:16 am

I'm waiting for my front wheels to be delivered today with M/T SR's mounted and balanced for free plus delivered for free from today from Summit. Then I will see what the front looks like then I will install the front drop springs.

I was limited on back spacing on the rears because they are 5x5 lug pattern. I still have about 1.5" of clearance between the tire and the frame.
    79treemaster
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  79treemaster Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:31 am

Picture with the front tires and rims now.   I do have room for the drop springs for sure. I was going to drop the driveshaft off at the place to get it cut but I am heading to a swap meet today and who knows I might score a couple interior parts or something.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1412494_10201609749459198_1992882551_o.jpg
    79treemaster
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  79treemaster Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:52 am

Really slow now that is cold and snow on the ground. I did get it running and drove around the block a few times. With the 4.30 gear you can feel the trans shift gears now. It might trip the tires with a shift kit put in even with the 305. I found two great deals on a rear set of emergency brake cables as well. Purchased them new in the old NOS boxes for 50.00 on ebay.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:58 am

Do you have a tach installed? what kind of rpms were you running with those 4.30's? Also did you get the specs of the drive shaft? Once i find an 8.5 ill be doing pretty much what you just did, thanks
    79treemaster
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  79treemaster Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:21 pm

No I don't have a tachometer in it yet but I got an old one in the garage I am going to put in it. Measuring the driveshaft from the center of the U-joint cups center to center it is 57" long. It was 59 1/2" long from the factory.

Measuring from the center of the u-joint cup on the rear end yoke to the trans rear seal is 59 1/2" They cut it down approximately 2 1/4-2 1/2 inches. Remember my car originally had a Turbo 350 in it instead of overdrive. My output shaft sticks out of the trans seal area about 1/2". I still got to pull the driveshaft back out and put the speedo gears in it. I disconnected the speedo cable because I did not want to peg the needle and break something. Going from a 2.41 to 4.30 gears might do something bad.
    GM B-Body Forum
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin
    Admin
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  GM B-Body Forum Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:57 pm

so did you go with a 700r4 or 2004r? I was curious about rpms with those gears because i thought you kept the th350 in, and i know highway driving aint gonna happen with that combo lol
    79treemaster
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    Active Member (Tier 2)
    10th Year Anniversary

Post  79treemaster Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:40 am

No, right now I still have the Turbo 350 and later probably a Turbo 400 if I go big block. If I go small block 406 route I will go through the Turbo 350 or another one.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:31 am